They're heeeerrreeee

Born on May 11th, Saoirse and Rowan immediately melted our hearts.
Gwen was 34 weeks pregnant and had been on bedrest with contractions for 60 days. Earlier in the day, Gwen said she felt different, and that they were coming soon. At 1:15 am, she woke me up to say her water broke. I fell back asleep. At 2:30am, she said her contractions were getting painful. After some coaxing, I got up, showered and dressed. We had packed a hospital bag weeks earlier, expecting them to come early. I actually predicted 34 weeks. We got to the hospital at about 4am. Gwen was progressing very quickly, especially since this was her first birth. She wasn't able to get the epidural until she was about 9 cm dilated. What a trooper! I was amazed at her strength and courage. She said the experience gave her a whole new pain scale. When she started to push, Rowan's (baby B) heart rate dropped, so we had to go to c-section. The babies were delivered while "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder played in the background (a happy coincidence). Saoirse had a ton of hair. Her right foot was turned in, but I couldn't care less right then. She was here and breathing and that's all I cared about. Rowan came shortly after. I left Gwen and went with the babies to the NICU. I felt like I never wanted to leave their sides. Something that would later prove difficult.

3 comments:

  AMANDA

May 21, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Hey guys! I am so happy your blog is set up and I can get to check out the babies pictures and progress!
xo

  Anonymous

May 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM

They are so precious. It is nice to see how well they are progressing. This is going to be nice to stay connected. Thank you for sharing. Give the girls kisses from Grandpa Hales and Nanna Carrie. Love to all!

  Unknown

May 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM

So glad to hear that you made it through delivery alright. The pictures of your little girls are so sweet. They look so tiny. Hope to see all of you in the near future. Good luck! Mary McArthur (Becki Dwyer's mother)